Terry L. Schalk
Adjunct Professor of Physics
- Ph.D. Iowa State University, 1969
- Associate Dean for Computing, Division of Physical & Biological Sciences, 2000-2008
- Office: Room 327, Natural Sciences 2
- Phone: (831) 459-2996
- FAX: (831) 459-5777
- e-mail: email@example.com
- Dr. Schalk works in experimental particle, accelerator and astro physics. His interest is both on the computational issues associated with data analysis, the search for new particles and the study of Dark Energy and Dark Matter. He has been the co-spokesperson for a major charm quark experiment, active in the study of parity violation in the decay of the heavy photon, looked for the basis of the matter-antimatter asymmetry of the Universe, worked on flight software for a Gamma ray space telescope ( http://www-glast.stanford.edu/ ) and is currently working on the camera for the LSST (http://www.lsst.org ) . Over the last 40 years, Schalk has been very active in all aspects of the computing issues (the "bleeding edge") in high energy physics including chairing the annual Computing in High Energy Physics conference ( http://www.chep2007.com/ ) , participating on major computing review committees and managing large software groups.
Terry has also been involved with SCIPP's Outreach Program (http://scipp.ucsc.edu/outreach) since it began. Working with the Tesla Coil in-school demonstrations, the annual Balloon Fest weekend, the Maker's Faire, the annual QuarkNet High School Summer Internship, and the annual High School Teachers Workshop. This Outreach Program has helped to kindle interest in Science for many, many students over the years.
Selected Publications (from total of >800)
- Collaboration Involvement: MarkIII, MarkII, SLD,
BaBar , GLAST, LSST
Page updated May 2008
- Evidence for D0-anti-D0 Mixing. BABAR Collaboration (B. Aubert et al.). Phys.Rev.Lett.98:211802 (2007).
- A Measurement of Rb using a vertex mass tag,
K. Abe et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 80, 660 (1
Observation of a narrow meson decaying to D+(s) pi0 at a mass of 2.32-GeV/c**2. By BABAR Collaboration (B. Aubert et al.). Phys.Rev.Lett.90:242001 (2003).
- Measurement of the CP violating asymmetry amplitude sin 2beta. BABAR Collaboration (B. Aubert et al.). Phys.Rev.Lett.89:201802 (2002).
- Observation of CP violation in the B0 meson system. BABAR Collaboration (B. Aubert et al.). Phys.Rev.Lett.87:091801 (2001).
- Direct measurement of Ab in Z° decays using charged kaon tagging, K. Abe et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 3384 (1999).
- A Measurement of Rb using a vertex mass tag, K. Abe et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 80, 660 (1998).
- Test of the Flavor independence of Strong Interactions, K. Abe et al., Phys. Rev. D, Rapid Communications 53, R2271 (1996).
- Precise Measurement of the Left-Right Cross Section Asymmetry in Z Boson Production b y e+e- Collisions, K. Abe et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. 73, 25 (1994).
- Electrostatic Simulations for the Design of Silicon Strip Detectors and Frontend Electronics, R. Sonnenblick, N. Cartiglia, B. Hubbard, J. Leslie, H.F.-W. Sadrozinski and T. Schalk, Nucl. Instrum. Methods A310, 189 (1991).
- Measurement of the Inclusive Decay Properties of Charmed Mesons, D. Coffman et al., Phys. Lett. B263, 135 (1991).
- The Su(2) Adjoint Higgs Model. Richard C. Brower et al. Phys.Rev.D25:3319 (1982).
- Production of Dimuons in 16-GeV/c pi p Interactions. Phys.Rev.Lett.40:136 (1978).